To file a Civil claim in the 31st District Court, the business or person you are suing must do business, live in, or the event giving rise to the dispute must have occurred in Hamtramck.
The Court handles the following Civil matters:
- General Civil - matters involving lawsuits up to $25,000.
- Small Claims - Claim cannot exceed $5,500.
- Landlord Tenant & Evictions
Points to consider: The Court is only a tool that is available to you for settling disputes or establishing and reducing your claim to judgment.
You are responsible for:
- Locating the parties.
- Determining your course of action.
- Gathering your witnesses and evidence.
While the staff of this Court will try to help either party to an action, you must understand:
- Our clerks are prohibited from giving legal advice.
- The Judge/magistrate is prohibited from giving advice on matters they may have to rule on.
- The Court can render money judgments only. As long as there is no criminal activity taking place, the court has no power to force anyone to do something or to stop doing something.
Civil Case Process: